Teachers and administrators play an important role in a student’s life. Teachers are often instrumental in instilling a love of learning and the pursuit of higher education within their students. We also understand that many teachers would love to celebrate their students’ success in their classroom through an outside award. We are excited to work with teachers and educators in recognizing and rewarding academic superstars!
Outcomes of the Carson Scholars Program
The purpose of the Carson Scholars Fund is to recognize and reward outstanding students in the United States enrolled in grade 4-11 who exemplify academic excellence and humanitarian qualities. The goal of the Carson Scholars Program goes beyond instilling an interest in college early on and assisting with the costs of college.
- Carson Scholars are role models in their schools. The impact of our program goes beyond individual students and families to schools and classrooms. Carson Scholars encourage other students in their school to strive for excellence and serve as peer role models. Our research shows that 94% of our scholars feel that being named a Carson Scholar has helped them become role models in their school.
- Carson Scholars are recognized by their school. As part of the Carson Scholars Program, schools are provided with a trophy to be displayed proudly in display cases. The aim is to add value to academic achievements and to refocus the spotlight on education; too often athletic achievements are recognized more often than academic successes.
2015 Application Process
Nomination Form Available - October 15, 2014
An email with a link to the online nomination form will be sent to educators on or around October 15, 2014. Unless otherwise stated by a Carson Scholars Fund staff member, your school can only nominate one student. We believe that schools know their students best. For this reason, we do not mandate a specific nomination process. We encourage schools to consider all possible candidates before making a nomination decision.
- Students must be enrolled in grades 4-11 at an accredited school in the United States.
- Only one student from each school can be nominated.
- Students must exemplify academic excellence (minimum 3.75 GPA on 4.0 scale for current year report card). Please review our GPA Calculations Rules and Policies to learn more about how we calculate GPA. Scholarships are awarded solely on the basis of academic achievement and humanitarian qualities – without regard to financial need or ethnicity.
- Students must display strong humanitarian qualities. We are looking for students who participate in community service above and beyond what is required in school.
- Students must not be a previous Carson Scholar award recipient.
- For more information, review our Nomination Rules and Policies and Nomination Tips and Essay Questions.
Nomination Deadline - December 19, 2014 by 5:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time
Online Application - January 9, 2015
- Within 48 hours of nomination, the nominated student will receive an email with a link to the online application.
- Applications must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time on Friday, January 9, 2015.
- The application includes essay, description of community service activities, submission of report card, teacher recommendation and biographical information.Applications include submission of a teacher recommendation, essay, and report card.
Principal Verification - January 16, 2015
- On January 13, 2015, principals will receive an email with a link to verify the student's application.
- Principals will have until 5:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time on Friday, January 16, 2015 to verify applications.
- Applications are not considered complete until the principal has verified the application.
To continue to make the online application a smooth process, we have put together a guide for the application. Please review the Overall Process (http://carsonscholars.org/overall-process)
If you do not feel the online application is right for your school/nominee there will be a limited number of hard copy applications available. To request a hard copy, please email email@example.com. Hard copy requests must be made by Monday, December 8, 2014. No hard copy applications will be mailed past this date.
Key Information for Educators
- All educators, teachers and administrators with a valid school email address from an accredited K-12 school in the United States are welcome to request an application for the Carson Scholarship program.* Please review our requirements on requesting an application and then complete the Application Request Form.
- Each school is eligible to nominate one student to compete for a Carson Scholarship. Carson Scholars must have a minimum 3.75 GPA and display humanitarian qualities through community service above and beyond what is required. Please review our GPA Calculations Rules and Policies to learn more about how we calculate GPA. Scholarships are awarded solely on the basis of academic achievement and humanitarian qualities – without regard to financial need or ethnicity.
If you have further questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
*In the context of the Carson Scholars Fund Scholarship and Scholar Recognition Programs, a school is defined as an accredited K-12 institution with a physical building comprised of students, educators, administrators, etc. While the Carson Scholars Fund is fully aware of and appreciates the accomplishments of other non-traditional educational settings including but not limited to home schools and on-line schools, the Carson Scholars Fund Scholar Scholarship and Scholar Recognition Programs are not available to these alternative educational formats currently.